- This event has passed.
Schoodic Area Reversing Falls/Rock Gardens
July 14, 2018 - July 15, 2018
Join Gerry (Sea Sherpa Kayak), Jonathan & Kelsey Oltz (Sea Kayak New England) for an event at a truly unique location. This is an open water skills development class, geared towards intermediate paddlers, held in the Schoodic Peninsula area, just outside the magnificent Acadia National Park in Maine. Venues will include Sullivan Reversing Falls and rock gardening along the rugged outer coast. An intimate group size of 8-10 paddlers plus coaches will assure that everyone gots the most out of the weekend.
For those that have never experienced a reversing falls, it is a full on, white water field of play, without all the “ouchy” rocks. They are triggered by currents and constrictions and work on both the flood and ebb. Sullivan Reversing Falls is a big play field with plenty of room for all. “Paddle & play” parking and load-ins, boils, whirlpools, standing waves and easy eddies to float back into for on-the-water breaks or unplanned out-of-boat experiences. The rock gardening here features fantastic scenery, pour-over shelves, slots and sea caves. Really exciting and beautiful area.
The instructional staff itself will make for an interesting experience. Gerry, of Sea Sherpa infamy, is an “age appropriate” who works frequently as a rough water coach. He specializes in high adrenaline, low drama, individualized coaching technique. Jonathan and Kelsey are a young (rare in kayaking) couple, raising quickly through the advanced water ranks. Kelsey is a member of the board for Paddlesports NA and they are both board of directors for their local club, North Shore Paddlers Network. They are very active in the New England Rough water community.
Being from very different generations, heads will butt and sparks will fly. Should be a fun to see.
There are a couple of nice housing options on the Schoodic Peninsula.
- The coaches are grabbing a group tent site at the brandy new Schoodic Woods campground. There is space for up to 20 so wayyy more than we’ll need. The site is in a private, wooded area with easy car access. Close to a humanely presentable and clean bath house. This campground gets great reviews for cleanliness, nice design and the minimal impact it had on local woods, allowing for privacy between sites. Site costs will be split between campers so will be minimal.
- For those that are a tad more civilized, housing will be available at the Schoodic Institute. This is a science based facility, situated on the spectacular Schoodic Point. They offer two bedroom apartments and the food service is included in quoted pricing. The layout is a bedroom w/queen bed, another w/two twins, living room, bathroom and dining area. Meal plan will include breakfasts, bagged lunches and dinners and will run Saturday breakfast through Sunday lunch.
- The campground and housing both will be available Friday evening through Sunday morning for the weekend event participants
Non paddling significant others are welcome to join for the weekend. The campground and Institute are both in the park so there are endless adventure opportunities including hiking, biking, ranger led interpretive walks, power boat coastal tours, mountain biking, etc… The Acadia National Park offers spectacular and dramatic woodland and shoreline.
For those that are so inclined, an option to add additional day(s) of instructional/guided paddling can be available. Add-on days would be catered to specific individual wants and needs.
- Camping Event Participants $300
NOTE: does not include shared site cost and driving permit. Estimated costs of less than $75 for weekend
- Non Paddling Camping Partners $50
- Schoodic Institute Event Participants double occupancy $535
- Schoodic Institute Event Participant triple occupancy $595
NOTE: includes room and board (friday breakfast through sunday lunch) at Schoodic Institute
- Schoodic Institute Non Paddling Partners double occupancy $285
- Schoodic Institute Event Participant triple occupancy $245
Additional Days (dependant on interest – minimum of 3 paddlers)
- Camping Participants $150/day
NOTE: does not include shared site cost. Estimated costs of $30/day
- Non Paddling Camping Partners $25/day
- Schoodic Institute Event Participants double occupancy $290/day
- Schoodic Institute Event Participant triple occupancy $270/day
NOTE: includes room and board (breakfast lunch and dinner) at Schoodic Institute
- Schoodic Institute Non Paddling Partners double occupancy $165/day
- Schoodic Institute Event Participant triple occupancy $145/day
If you have further questions or would like to sign up, contact Gerry@SeaSherpaKayak.com
Calendar powered by The Events Calendar